<$BlogRSDUrl$>
*Names have been changed (slightly) to protect identity
Feedback accepted graciously (no violence involved, i swear)
Disclaimer: All events and proceedings related to this site are fictitious. Any association to current affairs is ENTIRELY coincidental...Completely coincidental
(Ha, that'll keep those with libel in mind happy. or dead)

Sunday, November 13, 2005

*D+M Alert! D+M*

From the title alone, many of you will have had mixed ideas. Before I have to repeat this to five hundred other people. D+M = Deep and Meaningful.

For further reference, it is not

(*these were ACTUAL suggestions. What kind of readers DO i have?!)

Y'know I've never really thought about it before but I've really underestimated the power of mass silences.
And no, im not talking about the kind of silence that comes upon us after one of my "jokes" or a "conversation killer". Yes, i do appear to be "overusing" these.

But yes. I'm talking about the mass silences of the recent days. We had one in McT's assembly. We had one in the middle Economics. There was even one this morning.

Before I go on to talk with serious, yet beautiful words about serious, yet beautiful things - I'd just like to point out. Mr McTavish SEEMED like a dude. However, I am firm in my "contreversial" belief that he is from the Stone Age in both body AND soul. That is, if he has a soul. Not that he scares me but seriously, the man is as straight edged as they come.
Quote: "You don't deserve to be Head Girl, you'r skirt is too short"
No joke.
I still maintain that Ambray should have replied "You don't deserve to be "acting head master", you clearly wear your trousers too high up your own..

As i was saying.
Mass silences. Okay, we all know we're just tiny insignificant specks in this highly populated world we live in right? But for those 2 minutes in which the whole area fell silent. The classroom was still. The cars stopped. For those 2 minutes the school, ground to a complete halt.
It makes me think. Slightly in awe actually. Just think, while we did that, the rest of the country stopped with us. (of course, i'm speaking in general terms, I know not EVERYONE stopped, but just for the mental image and emotive words, go with me here)
And in that moment I realised that even though I'd done this about a hundred times in the past, everytime I do it, I become more aware of it all. I mean, when I was younger it was just a sort of, just go with it, kinda things. I still remember there was like an 'unwritten' sort of contest to see who was the "most upset" and "affected" by the whole thing. I never won.. I can't cry on cue unlike SOME people.
I'd hate this to sound like some sort of pretentious "and-i-realised-how-lucky-i-was" deals because it's not. Just, seeing on TV today, the streets of London at a standstill, a view over Westminister with everything still. Hundreds of people standing side by side- the leaders of the nation, representatives from around the world. All together. In silence.

And everything was .... .... at peace.
Which I suppose is the whole point of Remembrance Day right? Recognise that we live in a world with peace? Though some of you may dispute that lol

Being the busy person I am (err understatement), my life is pretty much non-stop. Hectic. Rushing here, running there, falling over on the way. And the rest of the world with me of course - it's a world where each person has their own life, with their own jobs, friends, morals and ideals. Think of all the strangers that pass every day. Have you ever wondered about what their life is like? What they do for a living, if they're married, have kids. It occurred to me that for every day I face. For every one I meet and every job I have to do - there's millions of people out there, in this country alone, that are doing the same thing. Living their lives too.
The world does not revolve around us. Everything is not always about what happens at school, what happens within our friendship groups, who said what and who likes whom. There's more to life than that.

And its moments like these when I can stop. Everything stops. And I can just stand there and think about what's really going on. Even if it is for only 2 minutes.
But for those 2 minutes. We're reminded of the fact that we are not alone in this world.

And for that I'm grateful.


# posted by Unknown @ 11/13/2005 01:57:00 pm
Comments:
erh i hate spammers!! im liking the variety your site offers me Zo, the last 1 was a comedy an this 1 was the thought provoking drama haha
 
completely get what you mean. is it just me or did anyone else think Mr Mactavishs assembly was a bit dunno how to put it but like i thought including those prayers made it a bit awkard??
 
Yeah I kind of do get what you mean actually.
It's a "multi cultural" school, I thought that was the reason why we no longer sang "Shine Jesus Shine!" at Harvest Festival...?
 
You sound like you need to slow down, if you find those silences that powerful and find yourself so busy. Go with the veritable flow. Even in terms of just state of mind if not in actions.
 
SPAMMERS, FLAMERS! ^^^

Ahem. I agree about becoming more aware every year, guess it comes with maturity. I do find the silences quite moving for the same reasons you mentioned: everyone is still and silent which makes it so much more powerful than thinking about something yourself.

My life isn't as hectic as yours, but I understand what you mean. Recently, I've noticed that I don't sit down and think as much as I used to. I'm normally thinking whilst doing something, such as listening to music, etc. I think before I go to sleep, but my thoughts before I sleep are trivial. So yeah, to summarise, I think silence is pretty powerful.

Laura...agree about the Mr.McT assembly. It was quite uncomfortable how about 20% of us said 'amen' and everyone else didn't...it wasn't as unified as he'd have liked. It reminded me of my old school (CofE school) where there were prayers in the morning. Good for him though for not being too 'PC' to do something Christian and un-multicultural.

Good blog Zo...see you in GS tomorrow wooo.

Emma Al xxxx
 
Yeh last time we got zoe to slow down she had way to much time to think rationaly about things. A thinking zoe is the end of the world as we know it :-p and i get what your saying about silences cos once you realise the significance of it all, it seems really wierd.
 
Actually, I baked.
Which I suppose is probably connected to the ending of the world as we know it...

And about the "amen"-ing, I know exactly what you mean Emma Al!! The first time round people didn't know whether to say it or not and I think Mr McTavish really did push it a bit by including another one.
 
AND I dont want to sound really rude but, that trumpet solo recording at the end?
It sounded like some lower school student haphazardly working her way through it! And I know we were meant to be silent and pensive but, those high notes which the player didn't quiiiite make...

Not the wisest of choices, Mr McTavish.
 
lol basically the last post was absolutely shit, and wasn't meant to sound like that. i laughed. heh.
 
err wen i say last post, i mean the trumpet solo, not the last post on this website. lol...
 
rofl it sounded like one of those deflating balloons
 
Haha. Trumpeters! I feel sorry for them...they have the...riskiest instrument of them all.

Emma Al xxxx
 
Lol my bad, apparently the "recording" was actually not a recording but someone playing it live from the front of the hall.
In that case, things change.
I just presumed Mr McT had made an error in his selection of "everything must be perfect" assembly music.
Assembly music is always something stirring and emotive (Adagio for strings works everytime).
Very unlike our choice of music (McFly and S Club 7) lol
 
I'd love to enter an assembly to some heavy metal. That would be interesting.

Emma Al xxxx
 
Good design!
[url=http://aduxdslb.com/mlhb/gcas.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://unyqtgvb.com/jiap/evxr.html]Cool site[/url]
 
Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit
 
Great work!
http://aduxdslb.com/mlhb/gcas.html | http://nrsiarel.com/ubnz/aznd.html
 
Nice site!
[url=http://xtuaqdov.com/zwbw/pwtu.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://rxoyvtcv.com/innu/tmmv.html]Cool site[/url]
 
Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit
 
Good design!
http://xtuaqdov.com/zwbw/pwtu.html | http://qrdcgvsb.com/myeq/mthx.html
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Quotable Quotes about the site from the MYNSIL readers


"If i were a tree.... this is where i'd be"

"eeeeeep!!!"

"If watermelons could talk.... "

"I used to watch paint dry until I found your blog, then I found a new meaning of bordem"

"Have actually been to your site now- is good, I think"

"Hell without the pointy things"

"...is very good and not at all uninteresting"

"I thought this was the queue (spelling) for the ice-cream "

"Its wikid"

"indeed i like lol, thats y i rd it wenever summin new comes out lol"

"I like being famousish"

"Your website keeps me sane" - (WTF?LOL)

"Zoe is a jolly good example of English manners and Decency"

"...a secret agent in the happy andrex puppy world who wishes to infiltrate this hapiness and let them see the true light" -thats Raz about me ...

"I really like the link to the immature rude words my favourite is K for Kangaroo Spunk"

"Yes one haas done a Zoe and eaten too many E numbers and now ich bin hyper"

"Shine on you crazy diamond!"